The World Guide and Database for Volunteer Work In Nature Conservation
Main Features of PDF Format: Pros and Cons
The PDF (Portable Document Format) is one of the most popular ways to store documents today, and since 2008 it has been setting standards and requirements for developers. Today's famous company Adobe Systems has developed a PDF, setting itself the task of creating a format that would perfectly display and transmit information on all types of devices (computer, smartphone and tablet), while having the same structure.
On the Internet, you can find dozens or even hundreds of thousands of articles telling about this format. But our article does not just talk about it, but is going to help you to weigh benefits and drawbacks of PDF. Often, in the concept of ordinary users of computers, PDF is something like an Office document, which, unfortunately, cannot be edited, only a file can be read.
Advantages and Disadvantages of PDF
Check PDF advantages and disadvantages. Let's start with the pros:
- Prevalence and popularity: many of the necessary files on the network are in PDF format, which can be opened on any device, because there is a large number of applications for working with this format;
- Adobe Systems has a free program for reading, which is easy to download in a few mouse clicks if it is not pre-installed on the system. But these days viewers are even embedded in Browsers, which makes browsing faster and more convenient;
- Any PDF file has a small size, so it does not take up much space in a computer or smartphone. This is achieved by a compression algorithm;
- Security: firstly, the format is practically not affected by viruses; secondly, it is possible to set a password and protect the file from prying eyes; thirdly, it is possible to use electronic printing, which helps authors protect their rights.
- Absolutely all programs for editing PDF files are paid, free analogues allow only reading;
- The difficulty of editing. Unfortunately, things are not as simple as with Word documents. To use the benefits of Word document, you need to spend a minute to convert PDF to Word and get a document that you can edit.
- It is often very difficult to even copy a fragment of a PDF file, sometimes it reads like a picture.
Most books are now found in this format, in order to provide the reader with more comfort and at the same time to make so that he/she isn't tempted to copy the text for his/her personal use. By the way, most ecologists also recommend using this format to conserve natural resources. It may seem that it is not easy to convert it if needed but it is not so. Online programs will make it easy to use PDF enjoying all functions you need.